Friday, May 6, 2011

Brad Charm Necklace {Tutorial}

I stumbled upon a fabulous post from Ashley at Lil Blue Boo on her mini brad charms tutorial. It is beyond simple and you can truly make almost ANY type of charm from this idea. Her tutorial is amazing and perfectly detailed, so I'll just give you a brief run down. :)

:Supplies:
Metal brads--any size or shape
Mod Podge Dimensional Magic (or Embossing Powder)
Jump rings
Embellishments

The idea for these charms is very similar to that of my mod podge dimensional magic bracelet but you first have to "make" your charm. To create your charm out of the metal brad, remove the two prongs from the back by wiggling them back and forth until they fall off. To make the hole for the jump ring, simply use a hammer and nail to "poke" through the brad. It's MUCH easier and quicker than it sounds--just give it a few small taps! Trim and smooth any sharp edges with your nearby nail tools. :) You then decorate the inside of your brad--use paper, fabric, stickers, jewels, photos, embellishments...anything! Once it is all glued in and secured, add your jump ring. The next step is when Ashley used embossing powder, but I went with Dimensional Magic since I already had some on hand. It gave me great results! Keep the charms as level as possible when drying. Every now and then give the jump ring a wiggle so that it doesn't dry into the Dimensional Magic.

For my first charm I used a paper sunflower scrapbooking embellishment. I also wanted to do a summery charm, so I cut the word 'tan' from a summer themed scrapbook page and added a sticker jewel for my second. For my third charm I stuck on a glitter-gold sticker with the letter 'a.' I was a little concerned about the paper flower curling or the glitter from the 'a' spreading but they all turned out perfect once they dried! The hummingbird design was cut from a piece of scrapbook paper. This was made from a bezel-set charm that I found at Michaels on clearance forever ago--I finally found the perfect project to pair it with!

As I first applied the Dimensional Magic
The Dimensional Magic will get more clear as it dries

Once they are dry you are all done! Add them to a bracelet or necklace and show her off.
I got lots of compliments the first day wearing her--people are always so impressed (but not surprised) that I made the charms myself!
They really do look store-bought...but little do they know how simple it is to make!






Happy charm making!

Thank you Kelly from Running With Glitter and
Ginger from Support Blog for Moms of Boys for featuring my charms!
signature

4 comments:

Becca at Motherhood "perfected" said...

This is such a great idea! I knew there was another great use for embossing powder out there somewhere! What I really like about this idea is that it is so easily personalized, would make a great gift for someone that has a favorite sport, animal, hobby, etc. Thanks!

Ginger said...

Love it! Super cute! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

Kelly @ Run With Glitter said...

I featured this on the Glitter Friday Spotlight!
http://runwithglitter.blogspot.com/2011/05/glitters-friday-spotlight-5-13-11.html
xoxo
Kelly

Ginger said...

You have been featured at SSB! Check out your feature below:

http://superstinkyboys.blogspot.com/2011/05/mad-skills-monday-56.html

Feel free to snag the I Was Featured button for you blog and I hope you'll visit again soon!
xoxo
Ginger
SSB