Monday, May 9, 2011

Roll-Up Accessory Case {Tutorial} and Mother's Day Weekend!

This weekend I participated in Katie from Sew Woodsy's

The task at hand for this party--a roll-up accessories case! After a few snacks and conversation, we got to sewing. House Party supplied the directions, fabric and thread as well as some freebies while Katie hosted and gave step-by-step directions. Here are a few photos from Sew Woodsy's house party re-cap post.
PS: Katie is also giving away a Singer Sewing Prize Pack from the various house party items and coupons she received--head on over there to enter and have a chance to win some goodies!

Sarah from While They Snooze came to the party! 

I'm diligently sewing my pockets :)

 
Vanessa and I getting our sew on

The roll-up accessory case was meant to be a fairly simple project--and that it was! This is a PERFECT project for any beginner sewer. I planned to use mine for my make-up brushes but the versatility and customizations for this project are endless. This has been a project on my "craft to do" list for quite some time--so this allowed for one more project to be checked off as complete!

:Supplies:
Two pieces of fabric
(we used 12"x14" but you can use any rectangular size--
step 3 explains how you may want to determine your size)
Coordinating Ribbon (approximately 20"-24" in length; longer if you make a larger case)
Sewing basics (machine, thread, pins, iron, etc.)

Step 1. Pin your fabric right sides facing together along the edges. Sew along the edge of the fabric with a small seam allowance. Be sure to leave a 4" gap in the center of one of your your longest edges for turning.


Step 2. Turn the fabric right side out, poke out corners and press.


Step 3. To make the pocket: Lay your fabric so that the long side that has the 4" opening is on the right. Decide how "long" of pockets you want and fold your rectangle from the bottom up. The folded part will be your pocket. Press your fold.

The long white line is where the top of my pocket is folded to--a little less than half-way up

Step 4. Open your fold and topstich the top of your pocket for a finished look. (Be sure to not stitch your pocket to the case--this is just a decorative step)

Step 5. Re-fold your flap. Now it's time to sew your individual pocket channels: Determine the channel widths depending on what you're going to hold in your case. I did mine a variety of 1/2"-2" inch pockets for my various sized make-up brushes. Use either a straight stitch or a decorative stitch to give it flair! You may sew only to the top of the pocket, or you may sew up the entire case--I chose to stop at the top of the pocket. Sew your channels by starting at the bottom of the pocket and working towards the top edge, reinforcing at the beginning and end or your stitch. (see photo below) *Do not sew shut your end pockets*



Notice end pocket is not sewn shut


Step 6. Final step! Fold your ribbin in half and insert the folded end into the 4" opening. This should be directly to the right of your pocket. (see photo below)


Stitch around your entire perimeter of your case--closing the gap and securing the open pocket ends--and you're done!



The various cases made by the girls at the party


Holding my make-up brushes and necessities


It matches my make-up case perfectly



Enjoy your new case!

Thank you Bree for featuring my case and blog on Coupons on Caffeine!
Thank you Valeria for featuring my case on Occassionally Crafty!

Thank you Jen for featuring my post on the fabulous Classy Cosmetics! If you need any make-up ideas or inspiration, check her out!!

::Mother's Day::

Prior to Mother's Day I made an invitation asking my mother and Larry's mother to brunch and pedicures--I postal mailed it and everything. I was almost sure that they would be able to attend and not really have to pencil us in, but I wanted them to feel special rather than just calling or e-mailing them with the information. It worked! They were both excited and anxious for Sunday. Plus, they both loved getting the surprise invitation.


Being that I didn't put where we were going on the invites our mom's were anxious to find out where we would end up. We went to Mimi's for breakfast and a nearby spa for pedicures. Thankfully I had reservations for both and we got right in! Our morning was perfect. Breakfast was super yummy and the pedicures were so relaxing.

After brunch on the way to our pedicure appointment

Enjoying our pedicures--yes, Larry had one too ;)

Larry's mom, Larry, my mom <3

Mother's day was perfect! It was fun, relaxing, and I was able to spend quality time with the people I love the most. I am very lucky to have an amazing boyfriend, a loving (hopefully future) mother-in-law and a PERFECT mom! I hope I'm half the mom's they are one day. :)
<3 <3 <3
Hope everyone had an amazing Mother's Day!


On a side note: I have reached over 100 followers this past week! Whether you are my friend, read my blog religiously, have found me browsing link parties or just added me for tutorials...whether you comment on my projects or not...whether you've never read through an entire post or if you have read every word of my ramblings and lengthy projects...I thank you. Seeing that number reminds me when posting my next project it may inspire even just ONE of you to create something you may not otherwise have. :) Thank you again!

signature

4 comments:

Katie said...

Love the recap! Thanks again for coming over! I had a wonderful time! Can't wait to start getting together more often to sew! Love your mother's day idea! :)

Unknown said...

This is really cute! I LOVE that fabric!
I'm bummed I missed out!

Valerie Earnest said...

I really love this idea! It turned out so cute! I seriously need one of these. Now!

I am featuring you on my blog for Three Things Thursday (tomorrow May 12th). Come on over and check it out, and grab a button if you like!

Have a great day!

Jen said...

Hi there =). I would love to feature your accessory case on my blog and have you show others how to make it! Email me if you are interested =).
dollcosmetics@gmail.com
classycosmetics.blogspot.com