Tuesday, October 26, 2010

We're Stuck Like Glue

This past weekend included one of my FAVORITE days of the year. Larry and I's anniversary :) EVERY month on the 24th we tell each other "Happy Anniversary." It is actually sort of a game we that we do to see who can say it first...whether it be AT 12:00am on the 24th, through a note or text when we realize it's the 24th or the first words that are spoken to each other when we wake up...it's always fun to see who can say it first every month--I think I'm definitely in the lead ;)


BUT October 24th is definitely the most important month of them all to say it and celebrate. And this year we celebrated 8 years together! YES...8 YEARS! I met Larry in high school my freshman year--the second day of school in my P.E. class to be exact! For a year we were just friends...I actually tried avoiding him whenever I could--I was a FRESHMAN in high school and he was a JUNIOR. Needless to say I was also somewhat of a "goodie goodie" and having so much attention from one guy kind of intimidated me. But after one year of a very unstable relationship along with all this attention from Larry, I gave in. We started talking daily, whether it be AIM-ing or talking on the phone into ALL hours of the night, we managed to talk all the time and none the less we were becoming very close! He was a football player, I was a cheerleader...I met his family, he met mine...he asked me out, I said yes...and the rest is history! I know we were VERY young so no one took us too seriously, who would?--just another high school relationship right? The real test on our relationship would be once Larry graduated from high school, while I would still have to finish up another 2 years without him there. Of COURSE there was drama and many bumps along the way, but we made it through everything. He still came to football games to watch me cheer and traveled with me to hear me play the clarinet and picked me up (almost!) every day after school! Once I graduated, we eventually moved out on our own and took on the "real world" together. We got our puppy Bailey and are now happily living life day by day! 

I have grown to LOVE his family as much as my own (how can you not?!)--they, with Larry, have watched me grow these past 8 years too! My family accepts Larry as their own as well and everyone gets along perfectly! :) Having both families truly accept and love us and each other is more than we could ask for. We have truly been blessed in being able to grow up together...as individuals and as a couple. How many people can say they're still with their high school sweetheart? I can't say how many times people have said..."8 years? GEEZE! When are you getting married!" Well...when we're ready to! Yes, it's been 8 years, but we also started off very young and I believe the length of time that we have been together has given us somewhat of a different outlook on commitment...we have learned that everyone changes, in good ways and bad. So far for 8 years we have changed together successfully. Love is love, and commitment is shown in daily actions and through the relationship we have that only we know the true depth of...you don't need a shiny ring or certificate to prove it. If it's meant to be, it will be. Now don't get me wrong, I DO want to have a ring and my dream wedding with my prince charming, but we're in no rush--the day will come when it's perfectly ready and meant to be!

Yes, we still struggle sometimes. Yes, we have disagreements sometimes. But I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Our arguments end with "I love you" and our mornings begin with "I love you"...Larry is truly an amazing person and I am SO lucky to be with him. I am truly grateful to have been blessed with such a funny, personable, talented and smart man. We complete each other almost perfectly. Both goofy, fun and honest. I love him for telling me that I'm beautiful, that I'm perfect and that I'm all he wants...and I also love him for telling me when I'm wrong or that I need to shut up. :) Only HE can get away with that! I LOVE that anyone who meets him instantly likes him and speaks nothing but good of him. He can truly get along with anyone! I love his innocence and I love his humor. I love that he does NOT care what anyone thinks about how he acts or what he says. I love that he can cry in front of me. I love how honest he is. I love that he refuses to have a screaming match--he has not ONCE in 8 years raised his voice at me. I love how he respects and loves his mother & father more than anything. I love how he doesn’t judge anyone. I love that he remembers our anniversary every month (for the past 8 years!). I love that he does not have to prove our relationship to anyone. I love that he treats me like a princess. I love that he is a "manly man" but definitely has a soft heart. I love that he refuses to go to bed mad. I love that he will give the shirt off his back for not just me, but for anyone that deserves it. He is my backbone, my sunshine and my best friend.
When I first heard the song "Stuck Like Glue" by Sugarland, I connected with it immediately. People have doubted our relationship...we have even doubted each other at times, but it never fails that the Larry that I fell in love with 8 years ago comes out and makes my "heart beat again!" We have no doubt been "Stuck Like Glue"  :)



Happy Anniversary Larry! 
It's been an amazing 8 years...I love you!

signature

No comments: